THE ROLE OF THE CASE ADVISORS:
(Note: These are written in the Statutes ISST Rules of Procedure)
- A candidate will select a CASE advisor to advise about in the process of handing in the final ISST case study, including counseling about format, selection of readers, and any other questions that arise. The advisor’s fee will be negotiated directly with them unless the ISST Member Society has set a fee.
- The advisor verifies that the candidate has completed the steps of the ISST training as detailed in the training guidelines. It is the advisor’s responsibility to have sight of the applicants collated evidence of completion of all minimum ISST training requirements. (A form for noting this information is provided in Appendix D. A copy of this should be sent to all readers and also included with the final application for ISST membership.)
- The Case readers inform the Case advisor of their evaluation of the case. The advisor communicates the overall evaluation of the case study by the readers to the candidate, including revisions to be made in the case of conditional acceptance.
- The advisor informs the readers about acceptance of the case.
- In the case of absence of unanimity of opinion of the readers, the advisor organizes a conference of the readers.
- The advisor informs the ISST Certification Committee when readers have accepted the case study and other training requirements are fulfilled. Advisors are asked to email the evidence of completion of all ISST training requirements including all documents including Appendix D, written evaluations from the case readers for the case, written evaluations from the readers of the symbol papers to the Certification Committee for final approval.
EVALUATION OF FINAL CASE STUDY BY THE READERS:
ADVISORS ARE TO COMMUNICATE THIS TO THE READERS and STUDENTS
- A reader can choose to accept, conditionally accept, or reject a case study.
- The evaluation is communicated to the advisor who communicates the evaluation to the candidate.
- After receiving all three opinions, the advisor informs the candidate of the final decision.
- With decisions of conditional acceptance, the candidate is asked to make certain immediate revisions which, when approved by the reader(s), permits the candidate to obtain ISST membership.
- A decision of rejection implies that the case cannot be accepted even in a revised form. In these circumstances re-application can be made with a new case.
- In the case of rejection, the readers may include recommendations for further hours of supervision/consultation that must be observed before a new case can be submitted.
- With each new case submitted readers, once appointed, cannot be changed.
- Aside from a decision of acceptance, conditional acceptance, rejection, the three readers are now requested to write up and send to the advisor their summary comments about the case study in order that these are placed with and sent with the paperwork for final certification.
CONFERENCE OF READERS IN CASE OF LACK OF UNANIMITY:
ADVISOR COMMUNICATES THIS TO READERS AND THE STUDENT
- If one of three readers rejects a case study, a conference of the readers must be arranged within two months after results have been communicated to the advisor.
- During the conference or as a result of it, the readers can change their original votes or make suggestions for compromises.
- After the conference, if there is a majority decision (i.e. at least two to one) for acceptance or rejection, this decision is binding.
- When a conditional acceptance is suggested, the readers should come to a consensus about recommendations to the candidate.
- The advisor informs the candidate after receipt of all three final opinions about the consensus.
CHECKLIST FOR DOCUMENTS TO BE SENT WITH FINAL APPLICATION
FOR CERTIFICATION OF ISST MEMBERSHIP
________ Appendix D
________ Summary comments from reader for Symbol paper 1
________ Summary comments from reader for Symbol paper 2
________ Summary comments from Case Reader 1
________ Summary comments from Case Reader 2
________ Summary comments from Case Reader 3
The following need to be included in the application or certified as seen by the Case advisor.
________ Statement from ISST process therapist confirming completed process
________ Any other paperwork stating supervision hours from ISST supervisors
_________ Copies of certificates from congresses or any other conference where ISST hours were granted (ISST Member conferences or workshops that were presented by an ISST Teaching Member only)
The certification Committee is at liberty to request sight of original certification documents at their discretion.
THE ROLE OF INDEPENDENT ROUTE CANDIDATE (IRC) ADVISORS
Role of the IRC Advisor
The IRC advisor helps the trainee plan the steps needed to become an ISST Candidate. They act as mentor guiding the candidate in the development as a Sandplay therapist and advising on procedures required for ISST certification.
1. The advisor checks the trainee’s application to assure that it conforms to ISST
requirements for Independent Route Candidacy. (See Qualifications for Training below).
- If the candidate is unknown to three ISST Teaching Members, the advisor sets up an interview with the necessary number of Teaching Members (One of three may be electronic).
- The Advisor orients the interviewing Teaching Members as to the following criteria.The trainee should demonstrate:
- Capacity for commitment to a long and demanding training.
- Capacity to learn.
- Capacity to think symbolically.
- Ability to engage constructively with criticism.
- Evidence of insight into depth psychology.
- Basic knowledge of sandplay; e.g., reading of basic sandplay texts, attended conferences or seminars.
- Understanding of the ISST Ethical Code.
- Personal and professional requirements of a prospective ISST member.4. The Advisor communicates the result of the interview to the trainee and the ISSTDevelopment Group Committee and local ISST liaison if there is one available.5. At regular intervals, the Advisor updates the ISST Liaison regarding the progressof his/her trainee or candidate(s).NOTE re IRC Applications and Membership of ISST
- Any fees in addition to the application fee are negotiated directly between the candidate and advisor/liaison/ or teaching member concerned.
- This Application does not guarantee Membership of ISST
- This Application does not make the applicant a Member of ISST.
- Registering as an IRC does not guarantee qualification as a Certified ISST Candidate.
- Candidacy can be terminated at the discretion of the Board
In Countries where there is no Developing Group/Liaison, the ISST Development Group Committee will appoint a TM to act as Advisor.